[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) RFC: copy protection report

Herb Martin HerbM at learnquick.com
Fri Dec 2 20:40:51 UTC 2005

> From: David Lubkin
>
> I vote with my dollars against unpalatable treatment when I can, but
> the alternatives are not always viable.

Right.

> What do y'all do when there's no real substitute for software that
> has onerous protection mechanisms?

When there is no viable alternative and the software is
necessary then perhaps it must be purchased despite the
poor practices of some company (including copy protection.)

But fewer copies can be bought usually.  Alternatives can
be sought.  Purchases and upgrades delayed.

Encouraging others to avoid the software works too.

Avoiding other software and products by the same
company is another method.

BTW, we do this with non-software products also.  When
an airline or hotel gives terrible service AND refuses
to take even an interest in fixing the problem then it
seems reasonable to avoid that business long enough to
cost them several times the "amount involved".

> For instance, Paint Shop Pro and GIMP are capable, but if you want to
> get hired for an on-site job as a graphic artist, you'd better know
> Photoshop CS. Period.

Sure.  But you only need one copy for that.  All other
home machines can run an alternative.  Maybe you don't
need the latest version.

You might avoid purchasing the other (less critical) products
from the same company.

Add in, advertising for the alternative products and helping
to bring them to maturity as alternatives to the poor company's
"critical application" etc....

> One end-around is to personally own an earlier version, before the
> garbage was put in, and let your employer deal with the headaches
> inherent in the newer release. I do this for my Windows machines,
> running 2000 because there's nothing new I care enough about to put
> up with XP.

Right.  (In principle, but my opinion of WinXP is different
from yours in practice but that is irrelevant to the topic.)

> But at least in the case of the Adobe suite, there are capabilities
> and incompatibilities in CS that nix making-do with prior versions of
> component products.

And I am not quite as negative about Adobe as you are either,
although I could probably be convinced pretty easily <grin>
and again my opinion isn't relevant to the discussion.

--
Herb Martin