[extropy-chat][conc] Net connection query: DSL & V4 IP addresses

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 2 18:50:48 UTC 2005

Robert asked for offlist replies, but since the replies have
been onlist...

--- Brian Atkins <brian at posthuman.com> wrote:
> You can't force your ISP to not expire your dynamic IP address. They
> can do what
> they want. Also by the way, if you're using a consumer connection the
> terms of
> service will almost always ban you from running any kind of "server"
> ports or
> services.

What he said - and I'm one of the few who can get away with it.
(http://www.wingedcat.com/ runs out of my spare bedroom.)  Even
if you can find technical workarounds, the amount of traffic
you're getting will eventually be a giveaway - and your ISP will
shut you down for breach of contract.  (My solution was to
purchase a business connection, with static IPs.  It is more
expensive, but I happened to luck into a situation where, in
short, someone else pays for my connection because they need me
to have this level of service.)

> Running your stuff at home in your own "datacenter" is a luxury/folly
> generally.

Emphasis on "luxury/folly".  If you can justify the cost (a poor
justification being folly), it is a nice luxury to have these
days.