[extropy-chat] effing

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 23:09:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:56:00 -0500, Brent Allsop <allsop at extropy.org>
wrote:

> But you do have a choice.  You can wear filtering glasses

No, in that case the glasses become another object of my observation, with
powers to produce qualia in my experience. I would have no choice then but
to see world through my rose-qualed glasses.

Qualia (what Locke calls secondary qualities) seem to be powers of the
objects of our observation. Although not primary qualities of objects,
they are derived from those real primary qualities. For our purposes here
I would really like to call these secondary qualities "phenomenal
properties", or even better, "phenomenal powers" of objects, and say that
they exist in some real sense.

-gts