[extropy-chat] baloney in the memetic superstructure

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 4 06:04:17 UTC 2005

> > flying out of windows and such...
>
>That I vaguely remember in TV shows.  "I can flyyyyyy..."
>(cue decreasing pitch whistle sound, followed by a muffled
>boom, much like the sound Wile E. Coyote made on a regular
>basis.)

Sometime famous USian TV personality Art Linkletter's dead daughter was a
source of much FUD:

http://www.answers.com/topic/art-linkletter

<Art was famous for interviewing children and has been imitated many times
in such shows as Kids Say the Darndest Things.

Art's daughter, Diane Linkletter, committed suicide on
<http://www.answers.com/topic//main/ntquery;jsessionid=20ggv8f5ka2x1?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=October+4&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc02a>October
4
<http://www.answers.com/topic//main/ntquery;jsessionid=20ggv8f5ka2x1?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=1969&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc02a>1969
by jumping out of her sixth floor kitchen window. She was 20 years old.
Several contradictory stories were brought forward, and Art concluded that
she committed suicide because she was on or having a flashback from an
<http://www.answers.com/topic//main/ntquery;jsessionid=20ggv8f5ka2x1?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=LSD&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc02a>LSD
trip. Several reports claimed that there was no involvement from LSD, but
Art still continued to speak out against drugs for the rest of his career.>