[extropy-chat] effing

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 22:49:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:58:55 -0500, Brent Allsop <allsop at extropy.org>
wrote:

> But surely, when we start hacking our minds, effing and so on, we will be
> adding such control mechanism and we will clearly be able to represent
> the supposed whiteness of snow with any effing
> phenomenal property we want.

Sure, but Locke might argue that we have in that case not changed the
white quality of white objects; we have only altered our perception of
whiteness. White objects are still white but we have doctored our
perception, in principle no different from wearing colored glasses.

Locke might be wrong but I don't see a logical argument to disprove his
position. Do you?

His common sense ideas here might seem out-dated and old-fashioned, but
then perhaps they are not.  Perhaps whiteness really is a quality of white
objects, just as common sense would have us believe.

Locke's idea of secondary qualities of objects is what I originally
thought you meant by "phenomenal properties of matter". For example the
red quale would be a phenomenal property of red ink.

-gts