[extropy-chat] effing

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 17:46:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:20:56 -0500, Acy Stapp <acy.stapp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wish I had a reference, but there are some people who are blind
> because of brain injury who can make decisions about objects in their
> field of view who do not have any conscious visual perception.

Exactly. We're referring here to the same phenomenon.

Imagine a person who had this sort of "blind-sight" for all his senses,
such that he could hear without experiencing sound, taste without
experiencing flavor, feel without experiencing tactile sensations, etc.
This person would seem no different from a normal person. If you
encountered him on the street you would think he was just like you, but
unlike you he would have no inner life.

-gts