[extropy-chat] Transhumanist Community

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:32:25 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
> Brandon,
> there have been many attempts to create transhumanist web boards and
> move the discussion there from the mailing lists, but there has been a
> lot of inertia and after a while we always went back to mailing lists.
> For example the WTA forum is (login required):
> http://www.transhumanism.org/index.php/forums/
> but apparently participants prefer to use the email list wta-talk.
> I understand this, as also for me email is more immediate and
> convenient. I see something interesting in my inbox, read it, reply
> immediately is I wish. Since I use gmail I am also able to find old
> posts by searching my mail.

I agree with Giu1i0.  Most people on Exi or WTA seem to be pretty
busy. I doubt if very often they say 'I've got a free hour now, maybe
I'll go to a forum and have a chat'. They probably have much more
important things to do with a free hour. To me chat forums are
synonymous with kids uttering inanities about pop stars or boy
friends. An email reply to the list usually takes more thought, some
research, and may get edited through several versions as other

I see a difference between considered discussion and instantaneous 'chat'.

There are FAQs for new visitors. But these should be reviewed
regularly as this year's questions may be different in the light of
new events. There's a job for you.  :)  As a fairly new transhumanist
you may have some good suggestions for the FAQs.

BillK