[extropy-chat] Science & Consciousness Review web site

Herb Martin HerbM at learnquick.com
Wed Dec 7 20:21:27 UTC 2005

There is a quite a lot of useful information on the
Science & Consciousness Review web site:

	http://www.sci-con.org

While it is possible to create an Artificial
Consciousness without first understanding biological
(and human) consciousness, or to create an AI without
consciousness, these fields are certainly related
and may inform each other.

Some of the articles are just Abstracts, but many
are full articles or lead to the sources where those
articles are available without subscriptions.

For example:
The Memory Prediction Theater
By: Carl Carpenter
http://www.sci-con.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=105

Another topic:
I am considering the purchase of "Being No One : The Self-Model
Theory of Subjectivity" (Bradford Books)by Thomas Metzinger
and would be curious to hear if any of your have read this
book.  It is not very expensive, but it is is long will take
an effort (even for a speed reader) to plow through probably
so I would prefer not to waste money on something that will
never be read.

Reviews I have found online (and at Amazon are encouraging.)

It is not available very cheaply from Amazon "Used and New"
(which is how I currently feed my major book habit) since
I will no longer buy ANYTHING from "A1_Books" (and now avoid
any seller with less than about a 95% positive rating.)

A1 is the only company which has given me any serious trouble
fixing THEIR problem, even though I buy many thousands of
dollars of merchandise on the Internet annually -- and probably
several thousand dollars in books most years.

--
Herb Martin