[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 19:37:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:57:31 -0500, scerir <scerir at libero.it> wrote:

> This reminds me of a couple of papers
> by Giancarlo Ghirardi.
> He (and Zeilinger, and De Martini)
> developed experiments to test how
> quantum superpositions are resolved,
> or 'collapsed', in the vision process.

I could entertain the idea that awareness, (but not what I mean by
consciousness), happens whenever quantum superpositions are resolved, and
that this happens constantly throughout nature. Shroedinger's cat
experiences the qualia associated with dying (or with staying alive as the
case may be) before we open the box. This awareness requires no advanced
feline nervous system. Shroedinger's gnat would work the same way.

-gts