[extropy-chat] Consciousness is a process in multi-dimensional time![Was: Qualia Bet]

Marc Geddes marc.geddes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 05:17:19 UTC 2005

On 12/15/05, Brent Allsop <allsop at extropy.org> wrote:

> Marc,
>

> Isn't it possible that you could have two physical objects – both a
> particular atom or something that can be causally completely
> indistinguishable from the other.  But if one atom had a different
> "phenomenal" property than the other atom (say one was red and the other
> green) this could still not be "causally" detectable in any way.  Yet isn't
> it theoretically possible to put these causally identical, phenomenally
> different objects in some kind of physical lattice in some kind of brain
> that makes the entire system "aware" of the red and green difference?  Since
> the system was aware of the difference, it could effect the selection of the
> red one (instead of the green one) – even though the difference between the
> two items was in no way causally detectable right?

Atoms can't have 'phenomenal' properties of the type your're describing.

> As far as your logic below goes it seems just plain dumb.  Just because it
> is abstractly possible to hypothesize that more than 3 special dimensions
> and more than one time dimension exist – The lack of physical evidence
> proves such a theory false or not like reality – or at best uselessly overly
> complex than what occam's razor idea will allow.
>

> Processes are sequential events – but not necessarily extending into a
> time dimension right?  As in the entire sequence could theoretically occur
> instantaneously.

You've mis-understood the basic meaning of the term 'time dimension'.  It
just means a co-ordinate system for locating ordered 'events'.  Since
everything in reality is arguably an 'event', *everything* is in at least
one time dimension.  This basic relativity theory here!

My logic not 'plain dumb', I think it's pretty clear-cut actually.  I
pointed out that many different brains can implement the *same* mathematical
algorithm (i.e the same 'program').  This shows that the program (the
mathematical algorithm) is an 'event' extending beyond our single physical
time-dimension.

--
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared,
screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on