[extropy-chat] letter concerning presidential growth

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 15 08:03:38 UTC 2005

Joseph Bloch wrote:

> I am not above being controversial... but I guaran-fucking-tee you,
> saying that George W Bush isn't an idiot and the Iraq War was a good
> thing, is going to be more controversial than usual.

George W Bush has an IQ that would fit in fine on this list. Being limited
doesn't make him an idiot.

The Iraq War may produce some good consequences, how could
anything as complex as a war that changes so much for so many not
do, but the end didn't justify the means.

Finding a dime might be a good thing, you are up one dime, but its
not a net good if you lost a dollar looking for it.

I don't know where you personally stand on the substantive issues
Joseph, I know that you intelligent but I don't know how you weight
up the pros and cons and why.

Perhaps you think that the invasion of Iraq in March 2003 was a
good thing, or perhaps you think it was a necessary evil and the
ends justified the means.

I know you will have heard many fools express views contrary to
your own, but have you been willing to listen to someone that is
not a fool express a view contrary to your own?  Are you even
potentially willing to change your mind? Are you willing to be
reasonable?

It is not at all clear to me that you will have to change your
mind on much but you might take other things into account that
you had not, and perhaps by hearing your view I might do the
same.

Brett Paatsch