[extropy-chat] letter concerning presidential growth

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 15 12:24:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:49:46PM +1100, Brett Paatsch wrote:

> I can. But I disagree with your aversion to discussing political things.

I love discussing political things -- in their proper channels.

> I don't know what transhumanism is if it is not a fringe political
> phenomenon.

Of course trahshumanism is a political philosophy at its heart.
But tagespolitik is not transhumanist politics. Stem cell policy is very apropos.
Iraq war is not. The scope is too narrow.

There are gray areas, of course. EU just approved a pretty draconian
data retention law. Pro-state transhumanists will be pro, pro-individual
transhumanists will be contra. But the debate itself is salient, because
it is a backdrop of long-term developments which will either empower
the individual, or take away its rights vs. superpersonal entities.