[extropy-chat] Consciousness is a process inmulti-dimensionaltime.

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Thu Dec 15 21:33:45 UTC 2005

John,

> > Isn't it possible that you could have two physical objects - both a
> > particular atom or something that can be causally completely
> > indistinguishable from the other.
>
> Then how do you know you have two physical objects and not one?

The idea was that two different atoms of the same element, causally
indistinguishable from each other, are each placed in some physical lattice
of some kind at different locations - perhaps some kind of lattice of
neurons that becomes our subjective conscious awareness, and this lattice is
able to be aware of the phenomenal difference.

I think there is a difference between causing the awareness (or some other
physical event) and simply being the awareness.  Since this lattice is
"aware" of the difference (or it would be better to say that the
distinguishable difference is the awareness) it is able to - itself cause
the appropriate response indicating the two were different or whatever.  So
I don't think you could say the indication action was directly caused by the
phenomenal difference the system was merely aware of?

I don't know - I'm just trying to think out loud with all this.  Thanks for
the input and helping me think about it better.  If that is indeed possible.

Brent