[extropy-chat] The NeoCon Mind-Trick (was letter concerningpresidential growth)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 06:46:17 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of The Avantguardian

> --- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > I have attached the results of my quick and dirty study as
> > an Excel file...The Avantguardian

I am one over my posting limit for today, but two of my
posts were in the capacity of a moderator, so please
forgive.

The Avantguardian has created an excellent meme, which
I have used as a starting point to do some way fun
calculations.  Earlier he proposed correlating IQ
with percent Bush voters in 2004.  Of course we don't
have everyone's IQ in any state, but we do have a lot
of SAT scores.

I found a site which gives SAT (in 1998) by state and
a most useful datum, the percentage of students taking
the test.  I used this one only because it was in a
form I could cut and paste into microsloth excel:

http://www.sciway.net/statistics/satstates96-98.html

2004 election results here:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922901.html

Now, of course one would expect with a smaller
percentage of students participating in the SAT,
the average scores would be higher.  This can be
seen by plotting average score vs percentage
participating.  Then you can do a curve fit: linear,
a quadratic, a third order, whatever you want.  Then
you can take the percentage of participation
in each state, use the curve fit to determine the
expected score with that participation level.  Follow
so far?  Then subtract expected value from each
state's average score.  If the result is negative,
that's a dumb state.  If positive, a smart state.  OK,
so I did that.  Then I plotted the percent Bush votes
against the dumbness or smartness of the state.  I
did this for linear curve fit, quadratic and third
order.  I found...

Well, see enclosed spreadsheet.  {8^D