[extropy-chat] RAND Pardee: 50 Books for Thinking About the Future Human Condition

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 06:36:31 UTC 2005

The RAND Pardee Center for Longer Range Global Policy and the Future Human
Condition <http://www.rand.org/pardee/> pursues ambitious objectives: to
improve our ability to think about the longer-range future--from 35 to as
far as 200 years ahead--and to develop new methods of analyzing potential
long-range, global effects of today's policy options in order to design
sound policies that are sensitive to those effects. From the presentation on
their website: there has been no dearth of attempts to think globally about
the human condition or the long-range future. What has been missing,
however, is a means of tying those efforts systematically and analytically
to today's policy decisions. This is the gap that the RAND Pardee Center
seeks to address. The website has a repository of future studues resources.
The most recent entry on their website is a list of 50 Books for Thinking
About the Future Human Condition <http://www.rand.org/pardee/50books/>, "as
a reading list for someone who wants to understand at a more-than-passing
level the factors that we can say seem to be most pertinent today in
thinking about the longer-range human condition". There are many excellent
books in the list and some good books have been left out only because the
editors wanted to limit the list to 50 books. However, I can think of books
that are not on the list but should definitely be on the list.
My three suggestions: The Age of Spiritual Machines (the new Kurzweil's book
is, I think, just a followup) - Citizen Cyborg - More than Humans.