[extropy-chat] Consciousness is a process in multi-dimensional time! [Was: Quali

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 23:03:15 UTC 2005

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> The trouble with this parable is that it's complete
> bullshit. Unless Mr
> Won-Hoy's senses were completely obliterated by his
> ordeal, he would have
> had absolutely no trouble in detecting the
> difference in smell, taste,
> texture, viscosity, etc between rancid blood and
> fresh water.

It's a legend, Damien. I don't make any more claim for
its veracity than I do the labors of Hercules. Also it
was supposedly water in the skull, there may have been
some blood in the water but he was was not drinking
pure(?) rancid blood. Have you ever done the kid's
science fair experiment where you are blindfolded and
fed either a small piece of onion or a small piece of
apple with your nose pinched shut? Most people can't
tell the difference. Do you know how many old people
poison themselves in the middle of night by mistaking
household chemicals for medications? Judge not lest
you awaken to find that you have brushed your teeth
with Preparation H.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)