[extropy-chat] Bloodless Redistribution of Wealth

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Thu Dec 29 10:42:52 UTC 2005

> From: Joseph Bloch <transhumanist at goldenfuture.net>
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Bloodless Redistribution of Wealth
> (wasSingulartarians)
> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>
> I must disagree.
>
> The ultra-rich don't generate wealth to get famous, in large part.

Exactly - this is not really what the rich crave. Plus, you can get yourself
on a postage stamp for less than 15 pounds sterling:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/shop;jsessionid=P4YSHS10CR3TUFB2IGDEQEQUHRAYUQ2K?catId=9300091&pageId=shp_prddetails&product=prod350007

A snip for any egotist with an eye to a bargain I think.

A better appeal to the vanity of the ultra-rich might be some grand, highly
public altruistic gesture which will be forever recounted as legend by the
press. For example - the late Kerry Packer (richest man in Australia)
suffered a heart attack while playing polo some years ago. he was revived on
the spot (and his life saved) by a specially equipped ambulance which
happened to have precisely the equipment required to resuscitate him.

He later thanked the paramedic team for being so well-prepared and was said
to have been amazed to hear that it was only because so many high profile
individuals were present that this specially equipped ambulance  was on
hand. At any ordinary sports meeting he would have died before he received
the treatment he needed.

At this point, Packer enquired as to how much would it cost to equip every
ambulance in the state to save lives in a similar way - and then proceeded
to write the cheque that made it possible. The resuscitation device cost him
10 million dollars and is known as the 'Packer Whacker' in his honor.

If you want to separate the ultra-rich from their money - there really is
nothing like enabling the warm fuzzy feeling of universal recognition of a
great guy...

Money is only money after all - feeling good is priceless.
Jack Parkinson