[extropy-chat] Happy New Year!

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Dec 31 16:11:28 UTC 2005

New Year's Day:  Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good
resolutions.  Next week you can begin paving hell with them as
usual.  ~Mark Twain

New Year's Eve, where auld acquaintance be forgot.  Unless, of course,
those tests come back positive.  ~Jay Leno

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let
each new year find you a better man.  ~Benjamin Franklin

I feel that you are justified in looking into the future with true
assurance, because you have a mode of living in which we find the joy of
life and the joy of work harmoniously combined. Added to this is the spirit
of ambition which pervades your very being, and seems to make the day's
work like a happy child at play.
~Albert Einstein

Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve.  Middle age
is when you're forced to.  ~Bill Vaughn

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let
each new year find you a better man.  ~Benjamin Franklin

The merry year is born
Like the bright berry from the naked thorn.  ~Hartley Coleridge

Never tell your resolution beforehand, or it's twice as onerous a
duty.  ~John Selden

New Year's eve is like every other night; there is no pause in the march of
the universe, no breathless moment of silence among created things that the
passage of another twelve months may be noted; and yet no man has quite the
same thoughts this evening that come with the coming of darkness on other
nights.  ~Hamilton Wright Mabie

The Old Year has gone.  Let the dead past bury its own dead.  The New Year
has taken possession of the clock of time.  All hail the duties and
possibilities of the coming twelve months!  ~Edward Payson Powell

Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.  ~Oprah Winfrey

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
~Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1850

The proper behavior all through the holiday season is to be drunk.  This
drunkenness culminates on New Year's Eve, when you get so drunk you kiss
the person you're married to.  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Every man should be born again on the first day of January.  Start with a
fresh page.  Take up one hole more in the buckle if necessary, or let down
one, according to circumstances; but on the first of January let every man
gird himself once more, with his face to the front, and take no interest in
the things that were and are past.  ~Henry Ward Beecher

The new year begins in a snow-storm of white vows.  ~George William Curtis

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
~T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

We will open the book.  Its pages are blank.  We are going to put words on
them ourselves.  The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is
New Year's Day.  ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Yesterday, everybody smoked his last cigar, took his last drink and swore
his last oath.  Today, we are a pious and exemplary community.  Thirty days
from now, we shall have cast our reformation to the winds and gone to
cutting our ancient shortcomings considerably shorter than ever.  ~Mark Twain

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist - Designer
Future Studies, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
Honorary Vice-Chair, <http://transhumanism.org/>World Transhumanist
Association
Senior Associate, <http://foresight.org/>Foresight Institute
Advisor, <http://alcor.org/>Alcor Life Extension Foundation

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective.
Buckminster Fuller