[extropy-chat] the structure of randomness

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Dec 30 21:56:14 UTC 2005

At 11:19 AM 12/30/2005 -0800, Avant wrote:

> > can be deceiving, and the distributions do look
> > roughly bell-shaped.
>
>They do look roughly bell-shaped.

Not the point. The claim is that the internal structure of the bell curve
is non-monotonic. It's rather like a square sawtooth pushed upward by a
normal distribution. The truly interesting aspect is that the teeth fall on
top of each other, pretty much, in different sets of data.

What baffles me is that this work was completed nearly 20 years ago, but
nothing seems to have come of it, even though access to excellent
computation is now cheap and readily available. A friend of mine who is a
solid-state physics professor tells me she arranged a fractal analysis of
an ongoing data collection project, designed to test Shnoll's idea, was
being done by a PhD student about five years ago, but the student
apparently dropped out before completing the doctorate. The world is full
of frustrations.

Damien Broderick