[extropy-chat] Collapse (Jared Diamond)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 00:50:46 UTC 2005

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:>
> I really did not like the way he lumped Thor Heyerdahl and Von
> Daniken, but this is probably
> because Aku Aku was my favorite book when I was twelve years old.

The reason the comparison is valid is that, despite Heyerdahl's natural
experiments in oceanic navigation with primitive vessels actually
reaching their destinations (not entirely primitive, BTW, he tended to
rely overmuch on modern rope and other fastener technology) the clear
fact is that you wouldn't be able to turn a profit trading between
continents if you had to build a new boat for every trip.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)