[extropy-chat] 'History' and the fulcrum of 1945

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed Feb 9 14:11:07 UTC 2005

At 10:07 AM 09/02/05 +0100, Hubert wrote:\

snip

>There has been total war on both sides and it might have been justified for
>allied bomber pilots in February to erase the city of Dresden. If any author
>in the 1970s would have used the used the word "cremate" to describe the
>death of Dresden population he would have been called "revisionist" or even
>worse names. It had been the *Jews* who were cremated in Treblinka and
>Auschwitz. The half a million burnt German victims of allied bombings were
>accepted as war casualties, and discussing the shadow sides of the good
>guys, with allied plans to kill at least 3 million civilians with the
>intention to provoke a riot against Hitler, was un-pc in times of Cold War,
>when West Germany was the most important ally of the USA against communism.
>
>As I said before, it took more than half a century for the German nation to
>be able to hesitantly talk about the shadow sides of the victors who, in the
>name of freedom and democracy, erased 162 cities. Another delicate and
>awkward factor in this discussion is the fact that this topic had always
>been enunciated by extreme right wing parties to qualify (relativize) the
>Nazi crimes. So, today if you want to have an open discussion about this
>topic you first have to make disclaimer statements, not to be a neo nazi.

I think people miss the ecological point of war established when the
fighting units were tribes.  It is to reduce a population seen as too large.

So the unstated, even *denied* object in a war is to kill as many as possible.

*Something* has to keep population in balance with the productivity of the
ecosystem.  Since human have no predators, when the future looks bleak we
have to be our own predators.

Grim.

Keith Henson