[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Debunked

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Feb 9 19:28:21 UTC 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Greg Burch wrote:

> Eugen, you chided folks for politics talk.  Now here you are voicing
> the same hysterical nonsense.  Maybe we were all just fooling
> ourselves that we lived on the same planet before 911.  SInce then, it
> seems that it's become less and less possible to communicate across
> ideological divides.

Great.  Throw in the towel.  That's always a wonderful strategy.   The
entire species seems to have to work really hard to act remotely
rational and civil and this crosses all so-called "ideological
divides".

> I spend as much time as I can afford reading material written by
> people with whom I disagree.  But I honestly don't think many of the
> politics posters on this list do.  What I see from the America-bashers
> and Bush-haters posting here is the equal of the absolute most shrill
> Democratic Underground posts (a far-left BBS, for folks not steeped in
> U.S. politics) and the Guardian's and Le Monde's op-ed pages.

Bush deeply deserves to be hated.   I am very sorry if you have used
your fine mind to persuade yourself otherwise.   i am even more sorry
if you choose to disengage and disparage those who disagree instead of
continuing to attempt to find what truth and mutual understanding we
can together.

> Maybe it's because I work professionally in what is functionally a job
> of practical politics and have been an academic student of politcal
> philosophy and history all my life; but I'm getting to the point that
> I can hardly bring myself to even scan these posts, they are so
> steeped in cliches and not-even-half-truths.  The caricature of
> America as a fascist military state that is depicted in these posts
> would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.  Of course those who have been
> making these posts will say, "Why do you think the world sees America
> this way?"  Well, I've tried to explain this as civilly as I can.  In
> my view, the cultural machinery of much of the West has been hijacked
> over the last 40 years by people who subscribe to what I have come to
> see as a deeply flawed ideology.  It has become so pervasive in the
> cultural spheres of much of the developed world outside the U.S. (and
> San Francisco, Seattle and a few other U.S. urban regions count in
> that sphere) that people who!
>  don't make a concerted effort to work through to expose themselves to
> other points of view don't realize that every word they read, every
> image they see is a product of this world-view.  One of the
> foundational elements of this world-view is the demonization of the
> United States, its culture, politics and foreign policies.

This is hardly scholarly or refutable once you are thoroughly infected
thereby.   If the country is on a very dangerous course you will tend
to disown those who attempt to point it out as being of that other camp
and thus hopeless.

> Just as only a tiny handful of the thousands of people whose testimony
> I've taken in the last 17 years as a lawyer actually, consciusly knew
> they were lying when it could be proved they were stating a falsehood
> under oath, almost no-one is aware of the foundational ideologial and
> cultural premises of the world-view upon which their opinions about
> politics and culture are based -- these things are like water to a
> fish, so ubiquitous that it goes unnoticed and unquestioned.

Hey, I have consciously examined and many times shifted my views on
various things many times across your supposed world-view boundaries.
Please give your proof of the existence of these deeply determinative
mindsets or stop pigeon-holing those who disagree with you on one or
more questions.

> It takes a lot of effort to make one's self aware of such things and
> then to engage in a process of systematic and on-going testing to
> develop and maintain a consistent, rational political and cultural
> philosophy.  Most people, whose daily lives do not revolve around such
> things don't have the time or inclination to do it.  I'm not saying
> anyone else should somehow accept my opinions just because I believe
> that's the job I've set for myself -- after all, there are people who
> disagree with me who have inves!
> ted just as much effort and come to different conclusions.  But before
> tossing off the opinion that Europe should ally itself with Russia to
> develop a nuclear shield against U.S. agression, you might just stop
> and ask yourself what assumptions about the the U.S. such an opinion
> is necessarily based on.

Better.  I of course found such remarks equally outrageous even though
i believe the entire world is in danger by what seems to be brewing in
our government.

I need coffee too.  :-)