[extropy-chat] META: The Role of Politics on the list

kevinfreels.com kevin at kevinfreels.com
Thu Feb 10 19:30:37 UTC 2005

Dan has suggested that politics has no role on this list and that it should be moved to it's own list. I disagree. Transhumanism is not going to happen on it's own, we have to make it happen. Politics determines policy and policy has a huge role in determining whether or not I will live or die. All of the possible technology of the future won't help if it is illegal to develop that technology.

I submit that the the "golden days" of the list were golden because the future was further away. As the future nears, politics will become more important. When the future is here, there will be no discussion of the future, only the politics of the present. We can't see past the singularity, but we are getting closer and even the list feels it's presence drawing near.

If things were the same as before, it would indicate that we were stagnant. Instead, we see a gradual shift from future speculation to politics. This is as it should be.

Kevin Freels