[extropy-chat] people being people

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 01:41:20 UTC 2005

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> At 01:29 PM 2/10/2005 -0600, Reason fwd'd:
>
> >in the autumn of 1997, I got a letter from a tiny group calling
> itself the
> >M.I.T. Extropians. They had mailed an inflammatory—and wholly
> >unauthorized—eight-page pamphlet to the entire incoming freshman
> class,
> >myself included. In it, they praised hoary teenage standbys like Ayn
> Rand,
> >Beethoven, and Nietzsche; waxed philosophical about life extension,
> >cybernetics, and neural networks; and disturbingly issued several
> >sweeping statements about women and minorities, lashing out against
> >affirmative action and M.I.T.'s liberal diversity policies.
>
> Who were these sweeties? Anyone know? (I have a vague memory of Max
> or some other extropian bigwheel dissociating the extropes from this
> self-named splinter group.)

I don't recall, but what I do know is that the story isn't quite the
way she portrays it. The pamphlet detailed what the actual MIT
admissions standards were for white males, women, minorities, etc, with
asians being honorary whites.

The victimism groups and the postmodernists had a field day in the
Boston Herald, the extropes were smeared as racists, neonazis,
misogynists, etc.

I wasn't there, I don't know who put the pamphlets together, but I will
say that history should look at it as the counter-post-modern 'shot
heard round the world' in the war against political correctness and
reverse bigotry. A Boston Tea Party, if you will. The aftermath of
offical and unofficial oppression against these pioneers would rather
be likened to the Boston Massacre, only this time Crispus Attuck was a
pasty white male nerd.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)