AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE: [extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Feb 11 22:02:56 UTC 2005

Adrian Tymes wrote:

>--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
>

>>And nobody has any idea what people and companies
>>use spammers?
>>Don't they actually include some contact details in
>>their spam, or have
>>I missed something?
>>

>Much of the time, the contact info is incorrect - or
>becomes incorrect by the time one could follow up on
>it, having been deluged by the taken.  The spammer has
>collected their money (or other info, like credit card
>numbers) and run.  (And then there's ones who never
>wanted to you to contact them, but just to get
>something in your inbox - either to "validate" your
>email address so they could sell it to other spammers,
>or virus writers who really don't want you knocking on
>their door.)

If Joe Punter can contact them, or at least enough to make it worth
their while, so can law enforcement.
However, this only becomes worthwhile if the penalties are sufficiently
severe to justify the resources.

>>I suggest that such countries be made to take these
>>problems seriously.
>>Mandatory blocking of net traffic from ISPs within
>>nations that fail to
>>implement effective anti-spam laws might be a good
>>way to start.
>>

>The problem with embargos like that is, the world got
>along just fine before the Internet.  Select backwards
>countries can continue to get along without it; many
>of their lower class literally won't ever know what
>they're missing.  Pressure to change does not mount;
>they simply mostly do without, while the rich find
>ways to get around the embargo.

Well, it seemed to hurt some Asian countries sufficiently that they
began to take it seriously. The amount of spam in my mailbox with
Chinese character sets has fallen dramatically.

All this is quite feasible. All that is lacking is political will.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org