[extropy-chat] META: Determining if a majority wants a separate politics list

Jay Dugger jay.dugger at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:34:33 UTC 2005

Saturday, 12 February 2005

Hello all:

> On the list, or sent to a list admin (to avoid
>  cluttering up the list with traffic from the vote

Off-list. State how many subscribers the list currently has when
reporting the results, and also state how many people voted.

>  itself)?  And, how long of a deadline do we want to
>  give?  A month would probably be too long, but not
>  everyone is present on the list every day, so maybe a
>  week or two?

Ten days should give enough time for all interested parties to learn
about the vote, consider how to vote, and cast a vote.

I also suggest making the separate list for politics an experiment.
Make a separate list (either by fiat or by vote) for politics for
three months. All posts with mainly political character should go
there, and anyone on the main list can ask for a thread to move to the
separate list. At the end of the trial period, we could vote on
whether to continue the separate list for another limited period,
reintegrate it with the main list, or make the separate list
permanent.

--
Jay Dugger
BLOG: http://hellofrom.blogspot.com/