AnarchoCyphertopian technologies (wasRE:[extropy-chat]Reccommendations for a mailing list)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 20:48:14 UTC 2005

--- "kevinfreels.com" <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:

> > What this means is that the the incremental cost to yahoo for each
> real
> > message I receive is six times larger than it should be. This means
> > that they need to charge six times as much for the ads that appear
> on
> > the pages my browser loads than they would otherwise, they make six
> > times less profit, or offer me six times less features to me, their
> > user, or a combination of all three.
>
> FUZZY MATH ALERT!!!!
>
> Mike, you are better than this. There is no cost per message. Much of
> the
> cost is infrastructure. If all spam stopped, my $40 per month cable
> connection would not suddenly cost me $6.67 per month. I don;t have
> time to
> waste on the calculation, but I doubt that the spam factor increases
> the cost of my connection any more than a dollar or two per month.

What is the main driver of infrastructure expansion? In this case, it
is spam, not real user mail. Spam doesn't pay for the cost of that
expansion, everybody else does.

User email use remaining constant, with spam going up from 35% to 85%
in one year, this means that yahoo's overall costs for bandwidth and
disk space go up by 50% in 1 year without the user of that expansion
paying for it, while decreasing quality of experience for the real
users. You can't say that a 50% increase in RAID space and bandwidth is
cheap. I see my own company's bills for both.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)