[extropy-chat] coral reefer madness

David deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 17 12:49:23 UTC 2005

spike wrote:

> [...]

Where I grew up there were Australian Redgum trees
that were killed by the building of a major weir.
The bottom ten to twenty feet of them has been under
water for at least 70 years by now, and many of them
are still standing. This is in freshwater though.
I don't know what their longevity would be in saltwater,
but I think they would last long enough to form a reef.
They are probably also heavy enough to sink in salt
water. Redgum drops like a rock in fresh water, as do
most Australian hardwoods.