[extropy-chat] Re: cosmic silence

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 03:44:42 UTC 2005

Hmmm, that seems a little self assured, Russell.  I
would estimate the fraction several orders of magnitude
higher than 1e-12.

I have another notion that may explain it, which builds
on an argument I presented here a couple years ago.  If
a singularity and nanotech, then a post singularity
tech society would surely take all available metals
in that star system and convert it to computronium.
The value of communications from a distant star is
inversely proportional to its distance, so it might
not be worth the metal to build signal receivers for a
post-singularity MBrain.  It almost certainly would
not be worth the effort for even a pre-singularity civ
to send out signals, for it is unclear how it would
benefit directly.

Sagan explained the silence by postulating the dreadful
possibility that the typical time between signal-capable
civilization and total self-annihilation is tragically
short.  I countersuggest that the time between signal-
capable civilization and transformation to computronium is
mercifully short.