[extropy-chat] Re: Meta: Too far

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 1 06:13:54 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of The Avantguardian
> > Welcome to my kill file fool.
>
> To be fair, I wrote my reply BEFORE I read your
> apology.  I have never resorted to calling you names
> or even labelling you. Considering you are supposed to
> be a list moderator, it is somewhat strange that you
> would resort so quickly to ad hominem not only against
> me but against others...
>

> The Avantguardian

Samantha is not acting as a moderator currently.  I am
supposed to be, so I shall explain what is going on.  I
have quietly watched this whole caustic dialog, or rather polylog
since several are involved.  I decided to allow the participants
to have their say, even if some crossed the line on several
occasions regarding ad hominem attacks.  In every case, I
felt the receiving end of the attacks to be fully capable
of verbal self defense: if I thought otherwise, I would
have stepped in before now.  My policy is to assume it is
better to be too lenient in moderating than to be too
strict.

War is a difficult topic, so we should expect passions
to be high on all sides.  So go ahead, say your piece, but do
keep in mind the list principles.  We want to create an atmosphere
of open dialog and if at all possible maintain civility.

Over the years our extro-list has sometimes suffered from acute
Amiability Deficit Disorder (ADD).  This is understandable
since we do not generally share a particular hobby or interest,
and we take on difficult topics that are usually disallowed on
other chat-lists.

All this being said, I shall soon be taking a trip to Oregon
on an antique motorcycle, so the list will be temporarily
without a moderator.  (Weeee're off to see the cattle,
the wonderful cattle of Ore...)  Do let us keep the ADD to
a minimum if possible and adhere to the 8 posts a
day maximum.