[extropy-chat] finding old (and new) sf

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Sun Jul 3 17:00:09 UTC 2005

Damien, what do you think about a subscription model? I'm referring to something
like the Yahoo Unlimited Music service, which costs $60 a year and allows one to
download/access over 1 million songs, including copying them to a portable audio
player. If you end your subscription, the music "expires" from your devices
within a month.

I assume the artists make some money based on how popular their music is on this
type of service, but I don't know the specifics of the contracts.

Personally I find that both my dvd and music intakes have both converted
essentially 100% to subscription services, and I find this provides a superior
overall experience. I look for large selection and total entertainment bang,
balanced against lowest cost, and this seems to hit a nice sweet spot. And I
find the current price to be pretty competitive vs. the option of "free" p2p
alternatives. I think others agree since subscription service usage appears to
be rapidly passing p2p usage in terms of number of users.

I'm not sure if this would work well for the written word though since most
readers prefer books as their user interface currently. Maybe if a really good
portable electronic reader device would be developed...
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/