[extropy-chat] finding old (and new) sf

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jul 3 19:18:58 UTC 2005

On Jul 3, 2005, at 6:48 AM, Damien Broderick wrote:

> At 07:46 AM 7/3/2005 -0400, Robin wrote:
>

>> Everything depends on the quality of the "measurements describing
>> qualities of the information."  Or rather, what we really want are
>> indicators of the *value* of the information to the people who use
>> it.
>> Whatever the problems with the current system, it does ensure that
>> info which users perceive to have a high value is produced and used.
>> An alternative could be worse if it failed often enough to induce
>> the production and use of this class of info.
>>

> This discussion has skidded weirdly away from my original
> suggestion, which was precisely to make available to potential
> users an experience (reading the text) that they could evaluate
> *after use*and then pay for, if they felt that its value was
> sufficient.

I segued to something else in the solution space after responding to
the original. Instead of discussions of when and if you pay for a
particular bit of information I sought to go to the root of the
problem of having the creators compensated while maximizing the use
of information and the rate of innovation.  My proposed solution,
incomplete as it is, removes the question of when and if one pays.

- samantha