[extropy-chat] SPACE: Deep Impact shows strong spectral lines...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 21:30:05 UTC 2005

Making a spinning hub with four hab modules rotating around it
shouldn't be difficult. The floor plan in the pics is just an artists
rendition, it is apparently quite flexible. A spin hub would be
necessary for a Mars or Jupiter mission, but isn't for Bigelow's plans
in and around the Earth/Moon system.

However, spinning may not be strictly necessary, so long as a track is
available around the interior circumference, they can run around it and
create their own personal gravity, just like the Skylab astronauts did.

http://www.spacex.com/index.html?section=falcon&content=http%3A//www.spacex.com/falcon_overview.php

http://www.spacex.com/index.html?section=updates&content=http%3A//www.spacex.com/updates.php

> > I'm actually a little skeptical of even this launch
> > date, as the first
> > launch of the Falcon I is late September. ~6 months
> > seems like an
> > awfully short time to go from a rocket with one
> > first-stage engine to
> > a rocket with five such engines. I would love to be
> > pleasantly
> > surprised, though.
> >
> > > Their $50 million "Americas Space Prize" deadline
> > is 2010,
> > > which I'm betting Rutan will have won by 2007 or
> > 2008.
> >
> > I'm not so sure about that -- Rutan seems plenty
> > busy with other
> > projects at the moment. I'd pin my money on SpaceX
> > (which has already
> > announced their intention to compete for the ASP),
> > or -maybe- a team
> > with SpaceX building the rocket and Rutan building a
> > reentry vehicle
> > as payload.
> >
> > > If it turns out that a 2011 rendezvous cannot
> > occur, it appears that
> > > Tempel orbits in a 1:2 resonance with Jupiter,
> > which has an 11.86 year
> > > orbit. With Mars having a nearly 2 year orbit, it
> > appears that using
> > > Tempel as a bus for an orbital transfer can happen
> > about every 12
> > > years. That amount of time should allow for plenty
> > of private space
> > > development. Once Bigelow's orbital hotels are in
> > operation in 2010, a
> > > moon base is apparently their next step a few
> > years later, which is all
> > > the infrastructure needed to launch missions to
> > Mars and Jupiter in
> > > 2023.
> >
> > Exciting times. In case anyone hasn't seen the
> > recent PopSci articles
> > on Bigelow's projects, here are some links:
> >
> > "The Five-Billion-Star Hotel"
> >
> http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviation/article/0,20967,1027551,00.html
> >
> > "Low-Earth Orbit, and Beyond: Preview Bigelow's moon
> > cruiser and
> > corporate space yacht"
> >
> http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviation/article/0,20967,1027555,00.html

Mike Lorrey