[extropy-chat] Re: Nam

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sun Jul 10 02:12:08 UTC 2005

c c wrote:

>For one thing, the country was very long and had, as
>is well known, much jungle to use as cover by the
>communists and their allies. I wager you that if Iraq
>had jungle cover we never would have invaded Iraq. The
>Soviets were determined to supply the communists.
>Vietnamese leftists felt they were cheated out of a
>fair election. Americans protested the war from 1962
>to 1973. LBJ was an asshole, Richard Nixon was an even
>bigger asshole. Other reasons, too. We could write a
>book....
>

>>Why did the US lose the Vietnam War?
>>Dirk

Allow me to quote you:
"Or if you went to Iraq and protested the war there, that would be
surely be taking responsibility.But what are we here risking? How are we
responsible?What are any of us doing to resist this war? Aside from
gestures and statements?"

Well, let me make the point more forcefully.
The US lost not because of any military defeat but because of those
"gestures and statements", made not by the Vietnamese, or even US
tourists in Vietnam but by people in the US and around the world.

The Iraqi resistance knows that the US  does not have the will to fight
for twelve years, most especially because popular support for the war is
collapsing. And I make a point of criticising the war, and the bogus
reasons for it, at every oportunity thereby helping that process along.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org