[extropy-chat] Death Toll

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Mon Jul 11 02:30:57 UTC 2005

Dan Clemmensen wrote:

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
>> Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>>
>>> The loss of 50 lives in London is horrible.
>>>
>>> In today's news, insurgents killed at least 20 Iraqis. Yesterday, 20
>>> Iraqis were killed by insurgents. So far this year, on average, at
>>> least 50 Iraqis per week have been killed by insurgents, and some
>>> number of insurgents and/or Iraqi non-combatants have been killed by
>>> American and/or Alliance troops.
>>>
>>> Why are we more upset by the loss of lives in London than by the
>>> loss of lives in Iraq?
>>

>> Because London is not supposed to be a major war zone.
>> Iraq is.
>>
> According to the US Government, major war operations ceased in Iraq in
> mid 2004. Why is an Iraqi life less important than the life of a
> Londoner? The US Government contends that Iraq is NOT a "major war zone."

The US government can content what it likes.
Maybe all its troops are being shot and blown up by muggers.

As for why an Iraqi life seems less important than a London one, there
are many reasons, not least the fact that I spend half my time in London
rather than Iraq. I suspect that Iraqis feel that what has happened in
London is nothing special. Works both ways.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org