[extropy-chat] feeling more better

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 18:36:39 UTC 2005

After a year away, I'm happy to see progressive thinking people still
debating the morality of this issue.

Few people have claimed that Al Quaeda or Bin Laden or Saddam Hussein
are great people.  Although the tendency to confuse the three has tended
to justify quite a lot of pundit-bullshit.  But few people will claim
that GW Bush is a great person either.   The question is whether or not
we should be going out bombing all the bad people and whoever happens to
be standing within 20 miles of them.  As this policy is obviously
ridiculous, and the policy of pre-emptive war is now obviously not such
a good idea, I think it's time to announce that history has in fact
judged as our own moral sensitivities should have before we started
shocking and awing in downtown Baghdad.

If there are secret aspects of this war, we will likely only -really-
find them out 40-years later (since we refuse to believe the things we
already know, like the Downing Street Memo and Downing Street Minutes
and the untimely death of weapons inspector David Kelly, etc.), as we
did with Pearl Harbor.  No conspiracy-theory is needed to understand
what is going on now, though.  In America, a conservative revolution is
taking place - a war on personal liberty, economic prosperity and
anything else we can give a name is scourging the US for its decadence
(we get the leaders we deserve, in some ways).  Control of economic
interests so tightly held in small groups of bankers amounts to a class
war and as we learned in Malachi, if you've read it, no justice, no
peace.  Welcome to the world without justice.  If you want peace,
provide justice.

What qualifies one as a conspiracy theorist is that one is suspicious of
the established power-order of one's own country (like Jefferson,
Lincoln, Washington, MLK, et. al.).  One is not a conspiracy theorist if
one is suspicious of the established power orders of a different country
- especially if we can think of some good other reason to be at war with
them (say, if they have lots of oil or something).  The belief, in fact,
in Al Quaeda is just a classic conspiracy theory (vaguely identified
people and groups of people secretly conspiring to destroy our country)
targeted at the current "them" of our nationalistic hatred - the
Conservative (oil owning) Muslim.

If you wish to characterize someone as a "religious thug" I suggest Mr.
Bush is the world's most dangerous religious thug, persecuting his
"apparently religious" war (for the sake of the poor Christian
sucker-soldiers who go to kill off the infidels in this new crusade for
the oily-land  cf. the Mayberry Machiavelli on whether you should invoke
the name of God when going to war) on apparently defenseless countries
worldwide.  "The only new thing in this world is the history you don't
know."

Consequently, your contempt for intellectual pursuit stated so nicely in
the language of among the most ruthless imperial killers in the history
of the Western World has its obvious roots in your own psyche.  A
universal solution to every puzzle - smash it, burn it, then throw it
away.  Unfortunately, if the puzzle is alive and has cousins, as we've
found out, this isn't a good idea.  Don't underestimate your enemies.
Had you taken the time to think this through ahead of time, you may have
realized that.  But with a policy of refusing to think, it's hard to see
how any language could help the situation.  Pugilistic thugs rule the
world, this we know.  In the few occasions where intellectuals have
attempted to take over the world with their idealism in the modern era
(China, Russia) we've had bad times.  In fact even the American
Experiment is showing itself to be a failure - here we are dominating
the world through economic and both over and covert military imperialism
riding on an "elected" government selected by the top 1/400,000,000th of
our population (Scalia).  But simply aquiescing to this as "human
nature" I would think is against extropian principles, certainly against
the Christian principles of justice, mercy and faithfulness.

With kind regards,

Robbie Lindauer