[extropy-chat] overposting and fuel cell bike

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 01:04:03 UTC 2005

On 14/07/05, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/05, spike wrote:
> > Ja, I read the specs and decided it wouldn't work *as a
> > motorcycle* but would still carry a lot of cool factor.  It
> > would be wicked cool, but not fast or cheap.  Gasoline
> > will be difficult to replace that way.  The good news is,
> > if all the peak oil jeremiahs are right, we can still run
> > some wicked fast and still highly fuel efficient motorcycles
> > on alcohol.  That would be a new day, if you go to work and
> > half the traffic on the road is on two wheels.  {8-]  spike

I thought the hydrogen bike looked pretty cheap to run... US$3 for 100
miles, not too shabby, especially compared to a car.

> You might like to go have a look at Zapworld, 501 Fourth Street, Santa
> Rosa, CA 95401
>
> They' ve got electric scooters, electric pedal bikes and trikes and
> electric ATVs.
> They've got an electric folding pedal bike for your trunk on offer for 499 USD.
> <http://www.zapworld.com/products/BK_clearance.asp>
>
> Nothing for zooming down the freeway yet, though.
>
> BillK

I used to own a bike with a Zapworld engine, but it was stolen about
two years ago :-(
It was a DX kit: http://www.zapworld.com/products/dxkit_bike.asp
It absolutely kicked butt speed wise (for a bicycle), but to do a 1
hour ride (my commute to work) would require two of the heavy lead
acid batteries that it uses, meaning I had to carry a second battery
in backpack on or on a rack, and switch them half way, then recharge
them both at work (which took 8 hours).

I am still casting about for a replacement. I no longer have a two
hour commute, but it's still too far for a Segway I think, so I'm
wondering about my options at the moment.

btw, my major goal in getting a vehicle is to not be considered a
motor vehicle, and so be able to use bike paths, foot paths, etc. So
no petrol powered motor bikes. Believe it or not, there has been some
furor about electric bike type vehicles recently because grannies have
knocked people down on those electric trike things!

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *