[extropy-chat] Who thinks the Bush admin lied over Iraq? Onwhatbasis?

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Fri Jul 15 08:20:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:
>>
>> The average of 100,000 specifically excluded Fallujah's surveyed
>> homes,
>> because the number of reported deaths was too high and it would have
>> skewed the results for the entire country much higher.
>
>I also believe the Lancet study overestimated because they did not come
>to a determination of how big the average Iraqi meant when you used the
>term "family". Being a tribal culture, the Iraqi idea of "family" is a
>whole lot larger than the nuclear family concept of the west. This
>could easily have introduced a magnitude of error into the study.

I can too come up with many plausible reasons that could give a higher or
lower result, depending on my current mood. Let's not throw things at
random. The standard deviation of the study was high enough that there's
already a couple of orders of magnitude of uncertainity (sp?)

Still, it's the *only*, as far as I know, real study on the matter. Apart
from counts like iraqbodycounts.com that just look at the press and then
can be taken as a lower bound estimate. There are no other numbers.

Alfio