[extropy-chat] Re: Death Toll

Evan Hamlin hamlin_e at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:12:07 UTC 2005

I believe it is becoming increasingly evident that this is unlike any "war"
or even conflict we have ever faced. One could compare it to common
terrorism (those with demands and or identifiable objectives) but one would
fall absurdly short in terms of scale, besides the fact that the demands are
either ridiculous (Spain to give andalucia back to the what? the moors?) or
not demands at all (bombings "in response" to something someone has done).
And of course it is not like any normal war being fought, because is is
being fought by and among "civilians", a term currently being redifined in
today's battlefield.

Whatever the death tolls of the Holocaust, the point is that we need to
redefine the way we think of war, safety, defense, and offense for this new
era. We can't bring old weapons to a new fight. Sure, the United States and
the rest of the Global North may be invincible in the traditional sense, but
not in the context of today's events. London has more cameras than any city
in the world, but what good is that against suicide bombers?

I'd like to see more realistic suggestions for the future of warfare and
preservation of our way of life in the context of a world where wars are no
longer fought between soldiers, and casualties are seldom on a battlefield.
The discussion on a "transparent society" was a good one, I think something
was learned and exchanged in that thread. One solution. Mark it down. Keep
it in mind.

But is that as good as some of the best minds of today can do?
I think not.
-Evan

PS: My thanks for everyone who welcomed me; I didn't expect such a warm, or
quick, response.