[extropy-chat] Re: Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

mail at harveynewstrom.com mail at harveynewstrom.com
Wed Jul 20 19:00:59 UTC 2005

Evan Hamlin writes:

> Myself, I have gay
> friends and treat them no differently than any of my other friends.

Yes you do.  You want to impose different laws and rights on your gay
friends than your non-gay friends.

> However, I do not believe that gay unions should
> be made equal to the union between a man and woman; the only kind of union
> which makes sense in the eyes of nature, and even God for that matter
> (though that matters little to me, being non-religious).

You think homosexuality doesn't exist in nature?

> To say that it has existed for thousands of years doesn't validate it
> either.

> Homosexuality is not NORMAL.

How can something that has been naturally occurring for thousands of years
not be normal?

> That doesn't mean it is evil or terrible or anything of the sort. It is
> simply not normal. And to pass laws making it so seems to me to be a step
> in the wrong direction.

The laws don't say it is normal.  It just says it is not so evil and
terrible that the government must intervene to stop it.

> Perhaps I am being harsh, but I think people need to step back and
> reevaluate the situation.

I agree.

 --
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP