[extropy-chat] Re: Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 19:56:19 UTC 2005

--- mail at harveynewstrom.com wrote:

> Evan Hamlin writes:
>
> > Myself, I have gay
> > friends and treat them no differently than any of my other friends.
>
> Yes you do.  You want to impose different laws and rights on your gay
> friends than your non-gay friends.

Well, no, I don't think that is what he means. What he means, I
believe, is that everyone has an equal right to marry anyone of the
opposite sex they wish. No discrimination there.

> > However, I do not believe that gay unions should
> > be made equal to the union between a man and woman; the only kind
> of union
> > which makes sense in the eyes of nature, and even God for that
> matter
> > (though that matters little to me, being non-religious).
>
> You think homosexuality doesn't exist in nature?

There is a distinction between existing in nature and being normal.
"Normal" being defined as that behavior engaged in by 90+% of the
population of that species.

> > To say that it has existed for thousands of years doesn't validate
> > it either.
>
> > Homosexuality is not NORMAL.
>
> How can something that has been naturally occurring for thousands of
> years not be normal?

The typical *natural* expression of homosexual behavior in the wild is
typically (especially among apes and monkeys) a form of dominance, i.e.
initiations of force to maintain social pecking orders.

> > That doesn't mean it is evil or terrible or anything of the sort.
> It is
> > simply not normal. And to pass laws making it so seems to me to be
> a step
> > in the wrong direction.
>
> The laws don't say it is normal.  It just says it is not so evil and
> terrible that the government must intervene to stop it.

Well, no, Harvey, that isn't what the law does. The gay marriage law
grants subsidies to those who seek government endorsement and
certification of their natural but abnormal practices.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com