[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 21:07:08 UTC 2005

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:

> Yes, opposing gay marriage is bigotry, just as bigoted as opposing
> marriage
> licenses for interracial couples.  And may I note that the argument
> form is
> exactly the same between the two cases, "unnatural", "eyes of God",
> "community
> standards", etc.  Two people love each other, get the frick out of
> their way.

Racists and bigots have never opposed marriage licenses for interracial
couples, that is what government marriage licensing was invented for in
the US, to control miscegenation. That gays want to demonstrate that
they are chattel of the state, rather than demand a return to the
historically proper marriage law for free persons: no licensing for
free persons, is evident, as I've stated multiple times in the past:
there is only ONE THING that gays will gain with marriage licensing
that they can't replicate with regular contract law, and that is the
heritability of social security benefits.

You don't become more free by demanding more chains.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com