[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Wed Jul 20 22:50:03 UTC 2005

Eliezer wrote:

>Yes, opposing gay marriage is bigotry, just as bigoted as opposing
>marriage licenses for interracial couples.  And may I note that the
>argument form is exactly the same between the two cases, "unnatural",
>"eyes of God", "community standards", etc.  Two people love each other,
>get the frick out of their way.

I'm on the sidelines on this one, not caring particularly what's decided.
In part because I know same-sex couples who are themselves indifferent.

As a matter of principle, I object to the ways that those do care about it
(pro or con) are discussing the issue. There are implications and nuances
that are ignored, along with the usual demonization of anyone who disagrees
with one's side.

I have a few ideas on the subject, though, which will become an op-ed piece
or short story at some point.

Meanwhile, let me pose a thought exercise for the participants in this
thread, which may illuminate the more transhumanist aspects. There is an
unpopular hypothesis that homosexuality is a side effect of a viral
infection. It is not inherently implausible, given what we're learning
about the interrelationships between neurochemistry and behavior. It would
be difficult, however, to conclusively confirm or rebut.

But suppose it's true. If you were or actually are gay, would this
knowledge alter your self-image or goals? If you were against gay rights,
for moral or pragmatic reasons, would it alter your opinion of gays or gay
rights?

What if we then identify the virus and create an effective anti-viral
treatment, so that we now have the technical means to reliably convert
someone either to homosexual or to heterosexual?

What would happen to the size of and attitudes toward the gay population?
What fraction of gays would elect to become straight, and vice versa? Would
social conservatives push for labeling homosexuality as a public health
matter, requiring treatment or inoculation? May a parent convert their
child one way or the other? Can a minor change their sexual preference
without parental notification or consent; is this different from abortion?

Of course, the same questions arise if homosexuality is genetically
determined; it just requires higher-tech to alter.

-- David Lubkin.