[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 18:54:47 UTC 2005

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

>  (7/23/05 8:30) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >hetero population. Maybe the gay community needs to relearn what
> >marriage is about, but this does seem to indicate that it isn't an
> >institution that fits their demonstrated 'culture'.
>
> And what culture is that, Mike?  Please, please, go ahead and vomit
> out the right wing pabulum about the "gay culture of promiscuity;" it
> will allow us all to understand just how ignorant you really are
> about the issue.
>
> There is no more a "gay culture" than there is a "straight culture."

The gay community maintains it has its own culture. That isn't me
talking, that is the gay community. You can dispute that if you wish, I
certainly have questions about just as I have questions about deaf
'culture', blind 'culture', etc.

The statistic I posted (which you deleted) tends to support arguments
that marriage as a stable long term family relationship is not
something that has significant commonality with the lifestyles of the
overwhelming majority of the gay community. This is not to say that
there are not committed and loving gay couples. I am sure many such
exist, a relative of mine has one such. They are not, it seems from the
stats, even a major minority of the gay community. If this changes over
time, fine, but it doesn't look that way now.

Given the psych issues many gays need to work through for self and
family acceptance, it isn't surprising that many are not prepared to
have stable long term commitments. This may change with greater social
acceptance. We'll have to see what happens, but it doesn't look that
way now.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com