[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sat Jul 23 18:20:39 UTC 2005

 (7/23/05 8:30) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sure, but at the same time, the gay community, in its push for its own
>equal recognition, is doing the "we're not with them" with regard to
>polyandrists & polygamists in a crass appeal to supporters of
>"traditional" monogamist 'family values' and trying desperately to
>portray themselves as willing and ready to launch their own nuclear
>families in suburban homes with picket fences. This is hypocritical to
>their 'equal rights for all' schtick.

Given my own personal views and lifestyle choices, I would very much prefer to have polyamorous relationships be recognized immediately. However, I don't see campaigning hard for gay marriage to be campaigning against recognized polyamories or any other sort of "We're not with them" behavior.  One small step at a time.

Your assertion that it is hypocritical for people to push for gay marriage when polyamory isn't recognized is just plain silly. This is exactly identical to saying that it was hypocritical for black people to launch their campaign for civil rights when Native Americans were still ghettoized on reservations. Any time one group stands up and demands equality it makes it that much easier for another group to do so.

>hetero population. Maybe the gay community needs to relearn what
>marriage is about, but this does seem to indicate that it isn't an
>institution that fits their demonstrated 'culture'.

And what culture is that, Mike?  Please, please, go ahead and vomit out the right wing pabulum about the "gay culture of promiscuity;" it will allow us all to understand just how ignorant you really are about the issue.

There is no more a "gay culture" than there is a "straight culture."  And until you've figured that out (or at least met and talked to some committed gay couples), then as far as I'm concerned you have exactly zero credibility on that subject.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein