[extropy-chat] Why I am No Longer a Libertarian Either...

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 19:55:47 UTC 2005

Always keep in mind so many of the poor are 'violently protective' of them and theirs, and don't blame this on their being "brutalized" as Marxists automatically claim they are. I have associated with the poor since leaving home in '76, have seen exactly how the rich are different from the rest of us; Mencken pointed out the rich have more money, which is the only discernable difference-- the ethics of the rich being no lower than the poor.
There is a widespread assumption that since the poor are much lower down economically they are nobler, when such is not at all the case. How many of you have hung out longterm with the poor, talked to them regularly, probed deeply into the way they think? It's not a matter of pride having been with the poor, it has been nothing but entirely depressing.
There is nothing noble about poverty or the poor, except in the minds of romanticizers. It's not good form to beg, but I beg you to understand these claims come from almost thirty years experience.

 >You're an imperialist protectionist
>republican in disguise providing nothing more than an psychological
>outlet for spoiled rich children of the Alex P. Keaton sort who want to
.rebel from their parents but wouldn't be caught dead helping poor