[extropy-chat] Why I am No Longer a Libertarian Either...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 02:13:44 UTC 2005

12% of college faculty are registered Republican, 18% independent, and
the rest Democrat. I would say that some intellectuals can be trusted
and others cannot,  as they are dyed in the wool leftists involved in
the decades-long effort by the Carnegie and Rockefeller foundations to
dominate and radicalize American universities. You have to judge each
faculty member on their merits.

The only places you find republicans on faculties these days is in
engineering departments. FIRE's website covers this issue quite well
(and for a group founded by liberals, they are very fair and objective,
primarily as they stick to one issue, free speech, religiously... they
don't let their personal political opinions color how they judge
university treatment of political or other speech depending on who is
being gored.).

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What about intellectuals-- can they be trusted? Would
> it be reasonable to say around 80% of professors are
> in it mostly for the salary and benefits? I certainly
> don't want to criticize the military-industrial
> complex if most intellectuals (professors at the top)
> are no more trustworthy.
>   I hesitate to discuss the illegal immigration issue.
>  Mexican families are now so plugged into America
> there is no chance of consensus to close the border to
> illegals, unless we get another big attack in the U.S.
>  Liberal friends wont discuss it at all, they clam up.
> Some wont even admit terrorism exists. They don't
> argue, they merely scoff, "terrorism? what
> terrorism?"; the most they will say is America wont
> admit what it did in the past to the Mideast. then
> they change the subject & refuse to be drawn out.
>

> > I would estimate that where Georgism resides in the
> > left wing of
> > Libertarian territory, PROUTism is over the line in
> > solid left-liberal territory.
> >
> > Mike Lorrey
> > Vice-Chair, 2nd District, Libertarian Party of NH
> > "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of
> > human freedom.
> > It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of
> > slaves."
> >                                       -William Pitt
> > (1759-1806)
> > Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com