[extropy-chat] Why I am No Longer a Libertarian Either...

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 00:11:02 UTC 2005

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

> The point I'm making is that its generally a Bad
> Idea to put arbitrary government controls on these
> sorts of things.

I am not calling for arbitrary controls, I am calling
for rational controls. You are stating the mantra of
an obsolete economic theory based on biological ideas
of the 19th century. It is no more than the
manifestation of the fear of change as public policy.
You might as well be stating the "precautionary
principle" of economics. It is neither enlightened nor
rational to expect an undriven but accelerating
vehicle containing all of humanity to not go over a
cliff because "it hasn't done so yet." Somebody needs
to take the wheel, period.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson