[extropy-chat] Euphamism and misspellings.

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 4 08:40:14 UTC 2005

John C Wright wrote:

> Mr. Broderick writes: "It's petty of me, I suppose, but I think
> if you're going to (sic) someone for a typo you might try getting
> your own subject line and in-text spelling of "euphemism" right.
>
> It is not petty at all, my good sir: a man who makes as many
> mistakes as I do welcomes any and all corrections. (I was
> (sic)ing Mr. Paatsch because I thought he meant I was being
> was provocative, not pejorative.)

The use of pejorative terms in an ethical discussion is also
provocative, it is not however provocative in a good way,
its provocative like poking your finger in the other persons
eye is provocative. Its not thought provoking or 'light shedding'
but it is heat provoking to use the word child in such a way that
an early stage embryo falls into the same class as a one year
old infant.

An honest joint exploration of the moral weighting of human
entities at different stages of development can be carried out
without pejorative terms being used. I am a human entity, so
is a human sperm cell, so is a human cancer cell.

If anyone was genuinely mislead by my miss spelling I apologise
but I give forewarning I will make typing and misspelling errors again
as I do not regard these things as particularly important in comparison
with the conveying of the underlying ideas themselves.

Good writing tends to be good writing, in my opinion, when it is
effective writing. Time spent checking for typos is not always time
well spent.

Brett Paatsch