[extropy-chat] Famous author self destructs in public!Filmateleven.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jun 5 21:01:22 UTC 2005

On second thought I will briefly wade into the swamp.

On Jun 5, 2005, at 9:32 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> I would put it that someone who believed a 56 day old fetus was a
> clump
> of cells with no rights to exist is someone that should be under
> scrutiny for sociopathic tendencies.

Judgmental and prejudicial of discussion as ever I see.   Why do you
belief that just because the 56 day old fetus has a bit more rounded
head and recognizable 10 fingers and ten toes that it is now fully
endowed with all rights of the actually born and has all the rights
at least of the woman carrying it?  Your demarcation seems
arbitrary.  It certainly doesn't seem objective enough to call those
who don't see it as you do sociopaths or insane.

Deciding some point in pregnancy that the pregnancy should only be
terminated for more extreme reason makes sense to me on multiple
levels.   Part of what I said about a foetus not being a child until
the parents say so is also a recognition that after the point of
thinking of the foetus as child accidental loss or abortion becomes
much more painful emotionally and psychologically.    Contrasted with
the difficult to define purported rights of the unborn are the
obviously present rights of the woman carrying it to self-
determination.   Many are the hormonal and psychological pressures to
carry to term.  But pregnancy is no cakewalk physically or
psychologically.  Saying a woman must carry to term just because she
is pregnant is an abrogation of her rights and involuntary servitude.
It is a placing of the purported right of the unborn above the rights
of the woman.  This is obviously problematic.  In practice a balance
will be struck.  In my personal view I would tend to place the line
before which abortion is an at will decision roughly at the end of
the first trimester.   Abortion after some point in pregnancy should
in my opinion only be for very substantial reasons.

>> But I haven't met anyone in real life that actually does. At 56 days
>> there is a lot of tissue there and something that looks quite a lot
>> more like a child then like just a clump of cells.
>>

> I'd like to hear Samantha's view on this. 56 days isn't even two
> months
> yet, well within the first trimester that most women tend to
> believe is
> their rightful period to execute an abortion without guilt or remorse.

There is almost always a lot of psychologically difficult stuff
around deciding to abort after the hormones are flowing especially.
It is not an easy decision and you do women a disservice by painting
them as uncaring if they abort.   But it is the woman's decision to
make.

How do you feel about the morning after pill, Mike?   About a week
after pill?  A month?   Where do you draw your line?   And where do
you get off calling those who disagree insane or sociopaths?

- samantha